Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The BEST

In my class 'Who are You', which sounds like a self-discovery course, but is actually a self promotion class, we have been challenged by our teacher to promote our selves, if its the last thing we do. He gave us the common talk on how we are going out into the real world, where jobs are outnumbered by graduates from all over NZ, and theres no way we could all get graphic design jobs. he talked about money money money for a while, then about what makes a employer choose you over someone else (specifically mentioning that married people have a harder time, and married females even more so. Was his message don't get married? I haven't worked that out yet).
Anyway, some people may have found it motivating, but I found it off putting. In many ways I still see my drawings and work as art, as opposed to a commercial commodity.

A few days later I presented a mood board for the concept we were going to use in a self-promo video, and failed miserably. I had it all in my head, but when we were going around and critiquing other classmate's boards I realized how pragmatic he was in the critiques. There was no interest in subtle messages, or a meaning or message, but a whole lot on what it blatantly said about you. While I was trying to discuss place and mood, he was more interested in something that made you unique, such as the way you like graffiti and do in the summer beekeeping.

Ok, Maybe I missed the point, but this way of looking at the world seems so lifeless to me. Absolute pragmatism gets on my nerves, as does an obsession about being the best at making good money in whatever niche you're in. I believe you should aim to be the best at what you do, but that this desire should not revolve around money.

What do you think?

Post-script: I have just upped another book review, this time for Cormac McCarthy's All the pretty horses. check it out here on my other blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Si
Well first i must say, have you ever considered writing books, you are amazing at expressing your feelings when writing things down, alot like Paul.
You are still young Si, at 20 Paul wasnt even signwriting yet, i wanted to be a nurse or accountant, and ended up being a dispensary technician in a pharmacy and loved it!!You have many years ahead of you Si.
Love Aunty Toni
xxxx