Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The stars

One constant position of awe I hold is for the wonder of the stars. Its good, sometimes, to remember just how small we are in comparison to the rest of the universe.

I think my love for science fiction comes from my paternal granddad. I didn't realise it until last year that he was a lover of science fiction, with the dune books by Frank Herbert, the Foundation series omnibus by Isaac Asimov, and H. G. Well's complete stories sitting on dusty shelves amongst a few others. To be sure most of his books are more of the action/adventures of novels his time, with authors such as James Clavell and Leon Uris scattered about. Its sad that his eye sight is fading, and it becomes painful for him to read for more than a few hours a day. But it reminds me how temporary this life is compared to the stars, the galaxies, and compared to the wonder of eternity.

Click on the images to enlarge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Si
My friends mother is blind, and she has books read to her by tape, i think it is called the talking library, she sits and listens to books for hours, could be something for you to look into at your work, maybe get a couple out for him, and see if he likes it.
Have a wonderful day, praising God.
Love Aunty Toni