Sunday, January 20, 2008

Inescts, Africa, and only two weeks left!

Two weeks and I will be on a plane on the way home to NZ, God willing of course.
I'm really trying to make the most of my time here, especially spending time with the people here, like the Carstensens (who I live and eat with) and the Mooses (who live in the same house) and all the others. The training teachers are back to begin study tomorrow morning, and I can't wait to spend some more time with my African Brothers and Sisters. Hamisi, who I teach guitar to, has already organised a lesson for tomorrow via text message.
I saw a snake yesterday morning, the first I've seen in the wild here in Africa, although I've seen them before (in the wild) in China. It was just slipping into a rabbit hole as I saw it, brown and probably a harmless garden snake. I'm going to miss the lovely weather here I think, and the wild life, and the amazing smell after rain. But, before I get too sentimental, I better remind myself I have a whole two weeks left.

I am on antibiotics for this stomache problem, the doctor reckened it is bad bacteria. This is my third cycle of antibiotics since I have been here; One for every month!

The insects here are amazing. I was just sitting under a tree yesterday, reading The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White, and I began to notice the interesting insect life all arround me. The red earth was covered with browns crickets about half a fingers length in size, and they clicked their wings as the made huge leaps here and there. When they landed they often burrowed in the soft ground, or sat rubbing their legs together, looking constipated. I noticed a small bug that looked like a crayfish with no tail and it was perfectly camoflaged in the dirt but walking in my direction. I poked him with a stick and he immediately played dead, and stayed dead no matter what I did to him. I looked away for a minute and couldn't find him again as he looked so much like a piece of dirt. A centipede like insect with yellow stripes, and as small as a twinky fingernail, climbed up on a tiny clover and looked at me for five minutes. He was just building up the confidence to introduce himself when nature called me away. Pole sana

2 comments:

Rosie said...

hey Simon!
Sounds like you've been having a fantastic time and seeing amazing things. I hope you had a good christmas and new year, it's always hard to be away from home during those times but it sounds like you had a good group of people to celebrate with.
Your blog is very inspiring... I'd love to travel around Africa but it seems that to truly experience any place you have to really get in there. Get to know the people and see what they do rather than taking it all in at face value. What you're doing sounds amazing.
Sorry I haven't kept up much, been busy since christmas with the usual.. It's not good to hear that you've been unwell. Hopefully the antibiotics do the trick and helps you get rid of the nasty bugs. A friend of mine got really sick on a trip to India and came home and had to rest up for two weeks to recover from it.
Only two weeks left! That's not very long now, hopefully your last days there are good ones and you can take in as much as you can. You may miss it when you come back but I'm sure Africa will have left it's mark, you'll always carry a bit around inside of you. It really is a special place.

Take care and enjoy your last few days :)

Rosie

Anonymous said...

hi simon mum here. enjoy the last few days. saw jenny ayling on her way back to moz. she was very apprehensive about her deborah returning to kenya. wayne and diana got her some vitamins for local children which was nice. robyn hand has broken her ankle, lef was over there being employed to help. laura is out at movies with elliot and co in the city. she wiLL go to parachute tomorrow, dad han, isaac , geoff, richard , his friend, javan , judah, dalphon are all ther , james went to , rueban on security with david nd dad!Iam at home with the rest , darf had her group interview today for japan. we all swam at vickis afterwards. lovely summer here.we went to auckland city library childrens summer reading prize giving . deb and ellie went to get certificates i saw afew mt albert staff they all ask after you.please say hi to lynda and ann and lois before you leave from me . world vision sent us a thank you letter from mawnza for you and dad visiting . congrats to jeremy and kendra, you might like to give them a gift before you leave. ellie has another tv interview , usa again in early feb if they want her
love you heaps you must see film death of a funeral, very funny but lots of swearing unfortunately, dad and i went with brazillian girls and han. i have geoffs car for the w,end!love and prayers
.psalm 145