Wednesday, January 9, 2008

§ Zanzibar §

Ah, its good to be back at En Gedi again, and have the internet working. I would have liked to post a lot more over the past week and a half, but the net wasn't working and then i went to Zanzibar and now, as happens, I have forgotten what I want to say. I find things come together in you head when you have time to ponder, but if you aren't quick to engrave them in your memory, or paper, they warp, slip this way and that and eventually escape the fingers of my mind. So...


Zanzibar! what an experience. It is a small tropical Island off the coast of Tanzania, which is on the east of the continent. The beaches are exquisite. White coral sand, blue and green water, tropical fish, snorkeling on the various reefs, sunbathing (and getting burnt), reading, eating quite a lot, sleeping quite a lot, swimming as much as possible due to intense heat, playing cards and talking with good company, all pretty much sum up the first five days at the norther end of the Island. I went with Jeremy (the leader of the Joshua foundation's son), Kendra (his girlfriend, and Joanna (one of the head teachers at the college). I am browner than i have ever been, although i don't think the tan will last until I get back, hheheh.

The fifth day day we went to a new hotel in Stone Town where we stayed for a day and a night. With it's white washed walls,winding alleyways, ancient, hand carved doors in Arabian style, beautiful mosques and cathedral, palaces, late night markets where you can fill up on a lot of fish for a cheap price, Stone Town has character. It has been around the block a few times, or maybe the block has been around it. It is also filled with tourists, but that can be positive because it means it is quite safe to walk the alleyways and basically get lost with no problems at all. I sat and drank some fresh coconut for amount 50 cents and had a good old chat with the locals, visited the site of the old slave market which was demolished and covered by a Anglican cathedral. It was just fun. I took lots of photos as well, although i wish i didn't have to and could just take photos with my eyes, because you never know how photos are going to turn out exactly.


Its good to hear home from family
-Hannah, I'm sorry to hear the bad news, but remeber i failed my restricted 3 time! Write me another email, I like the last one.
-Geoff, glad you are killing those cockroaches for me. I'm gonna bring home a mosquito net for sure :) Miss ya bro
-sorawit, are youi in Australia yet? How are ya man? whats been happening?
-Mum, good to hear from you, and to get some photos from the beach from aunti Toni, just to see you guys. Love and miss you.
-Dad, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!(sorry Im late)
-andy, good to her from you, thanks for reading. Hope you and family had a great Xmas. Thanks for prayers.
-theo, How are ya bro? Heard you got a new bike? awesome. I still haven't had a chance to dirt-bike. ~hope you plans for Japan are underway and going well :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Si
Great to hear you had a wonderful time at Zanzibar, sounds beautiful.
Glad the photos came through ok, we had a fantastic time but missed you lots.
Alot of prayer going into your trip home, so am sure it will all be fine.
Say hi to Owen and Lois from us all here.
Love Aunty Toni, Uncle Paul Josiah Leah and Ruth
xx