Friday, December 14, 2007

Ants, but not in my pants

Did I mention there are lots of termite mounds all over the place? They are strange little things, a lot like ants and churn the ground to produce a hard pillar of dirt and hardened by some means I'm not to sure on. But they help enrich the ground as there are no earth worms over here. They, like ants, have a queen who burrows a metre or so below the ground, and is quite a big insect, long and skinny with a bulging head. The termintes are about twice as big as ants in NZ. PC, the Eng Gedi supervisor often has the job of digging the queen out.

I've also seen some really big ants, and occasionally a rhino beetle flying through the air. Because it has been raining on and off some species of ants grow wings and fly arround in the evenings and nights. The Russells' say they catch one species of ant while they fly and eat them. Apparently the taste like bacon....?
Last night I was out in the dark with a torch and saw hundreds of red ants flying around and crawling on the ground, not the ones that stings, some other species. There was a toad hopping around happily eating them one by one. The ants didn't seem to mind.
I saw another toad as well, but one of the guard dogs, a lovely German Shepard called Mocha bounded up and promptly sat down on it, totally unaware that she did so. I saw the toads face squash and distort to the side of its head as her weight came down on it. When she got up the toad just calmly hopped away. Neither of the two animals seemed to mind at all...

Man I need to carry my camera around with me more!

I'll be back, keep me up to date on your lives too :)

3 comments:

Mushka said...

man i miss u n geoff for the very very first time today cuz we had our christmas service n it was like where r all my mates? but hey alex came, evntho it was a bit of a mission....

Anonymous said...

hay im a wake now thx for ur call merry Christmas soz i was to sleeply to talk ijf

Anonymous said...

dont forget to draw some of the scenery or paint . deb and ellie were very sad for the oysters and thought it was a mean poem!great to hear your voice and thanks for phoning. enjoy a sunset for us. lots of love mum