Sunday, December 23, 2007

Woot. Christmas. Thoughts

Well, Christmas is here! Pretty much.
It was good to sing carols again at church and I have one more day of work before 2 days break for Christmas. And I'm going to Zanzibar in less than 2 weeks! woot.

Here are a few thoughts from the last few days (I've had some time to think).

-

I've been reading a book called 'Why the rest hates the West' and it really does have some great insights. The author is a christian, but is quite academically minded and has clear thoughts which are relevant to both believers and non-believers alike. The West is becoming less and less unified, he says. 'A 4th century Japanese, a 14th century English peasant, an 18th century Maori will all have more in common both materially and in their assumptions about the world, than any would have with a 3rd-millennium American, Brit or German...''...for these people, most of human history and culture is a closed book to them.'
And I must admit, coming from such a culture, the gap in our thinking is widening hugely, and we in the west assume so meany things we would think people would see as 'common sense' when it is really something very particular to our own culture. I'm only just through the introduction, but it should be a good read!

-

The Lamb
Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee;
Gave thee life and bid thee feed
By the stream and o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight;
Softest clothing, wolly, bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice
Making all the vales rejoice?
Little Lamb, who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?

Little Lamb, I'll tell thee;
Little Lamb, I'll tell thee;
He is called by thy name,
For He calls Himslef a Lamb.
He is meek and He is mild;
He became a little child.
I a child and thou a lamb,
We are called by His name
Little Lamb, God bless thee;
Little Lamb, God bless you;

William Blake

-

Tanzania is a country with a beautiful heart;
But on its face I often seen pain
And in it's eyes I often see fear.

-

Well, love to you all,
And Word to the Father!
Have a good Xmas!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon

Have a Merry Christmas and God Bless. It seems that your really having a great experience over in Tanzania I hope all goes well in Zanzibar!

Seeya
Samantha