Wednesday, December 12, 2007

what day is it? thursday?

So the fast finished last night, and it was a very good thing. It was good to get back into some American cooking, as the family I'm staying with are American.

Its been raining hard here in Arusha which is good for the farmers as the land has been very dry, there was even hail on Friday. The weather has been cool and there are often dark clouds in the sky.The pups are awesome, but often covered with mud due to the rains.

I don't know if I wrote about this already, but one night last week when it was just myself and a few others in the house, the Russells were on holiday, we heard the puppies crying really loudly. After a moment I went to check out what was wrong, but when i got to their kennel they were frantic, and biting at the cage mesh. They were covered in something wet and when i touched their coats my hands were stung by what felt like acid. I immediately thought 'spitting cobra!' because they are quite common arround and spit acid which can blind if not dealt with. I though the pups were covered with acid. I ran across the base to the Iscaries (guards) stay and they went running over with their spears and bow/arrows, then I ran and got the couple who were responsible for the pups while the Russells were away. But when we got back, I had left someone to wash the pups out we found out what the real problem was. Red ants.
They were covred with red ants who have a painful acidic bite. they can be quite dangerous an even kill small animals like puppies and even infant children. We washed them away with boiling water and the pups are fine now. Karibu Tanzania.

I'm going to have a jam on the guitars with skyler this afternoon, and lessons for the student teachers has stopped as they have exams next week :(....

I don't have much more to say, its good to here from y'all, but it doesn't really feel like christmas :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Si
What an experience with the puppies, we are so blessed to live in NZ, where there is nothing poisonous to worry about!!
Glad you still ok in Africa, yes
Christmas will be different for you, but we pray God will still fill you with his love and peace at this time.
Lots of love always
Paul Toni Josiah Leah and Ruth
xxxxxx